Monday, May 23, 2011

The Escutcheon

I don't know when the idea of working on an escutcheon can to me but it might become a series. What you see through the key hole is monoprinting, and you all know how I love monoprinting. Working at Home Depot a number of years ago I found they toss the keys in the trash when someone purchases a lock set and has it re-keyed. I asked they hold on to them for me and I now have a few hundred keys.
Then monoprinting was made be attaching the keys, in a pleasing pattern, to a board and applying 4 different colors to the surface before laying fabric on and rolling with a brayer. The colors selected were those you would seeing in printing and I purposefully moved the fabric for a look of mis-registrations. (take what ever meaning you want for that one.) The pattern for the escutcheon was from looking at many antique escutcheons. Acrylic paint was added to the quilting as if light was hitting the escutcheon. Keys at the bottom were silver and were colored with alcohol based inks which will color all slick surfaces.
Any Questions let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment