Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Ah-Ha Moment & Screen Printing

I think I have it! I don’t draw because that is just not the way I work. I want to get me hands dirty and work intuitively. Although I love to draw it is something I need to find a way to make fun, something I want to do, something I am driven to do.

Getting the hands dirty might just be the kid in me.

Santa got me three DVD’s from Quilting Arts. My favorite has been “Adventures In Surface Design” which is largely screen printing. Screen printing is something I have always wanted to do. I did it once, way way way back in junior high schoo,l in an art class. It was fun but we were using two and three colors and things had to be lined up and…..no fun.

So after watching the DVD where the host shows you how to do everything and talks about her materials and how she made things, I thought HEY! I can do that. So for the last month I have been thinking about it and this week I went and got all the materials I needed to make screens and printing boards. Two 10x12 screens (screen surface) and two 24 x36 printing boards were less then $35. So not a large investment. I used newspaper stencils, as was shown in the video and acrylic paint. Lets face it we all have some old craft paint laying around the house. I am making art quilts not bed quilts so I can use anything! So below are a few pictures of my 1st attempt at screen printing. I have a lot more I want to do to the pieces, like rubbings and stamping. Then the two pieces will be cut up and pieced together. I will take more pictures as I work on them.

Screens and Boards

Circles and Squares

No comments:

Post a Comment